Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Grateful


To My Family,

Last night I was on a 5 hour flight to Seattle and kept thinking about how wonderful these last few weeks have been.  It’s been awhile since I’ve traveled, and I was flooded with emotions as I thought about each of you. 

Grace:
I love your determination and desire to be so independent at such a young age.  Yesterday all of your siblings were out playing in the snow and you wanted to join them.  I helped you put on your snow pants and went to put peanut butter on my English muffin.  When I turned around, you had already put on your own boots and were asking me to help you put on your jacket.  You remind me of your older sister and how determined she is when she puts her mind to something.  I love holding your hand as we walk around, but your preferred method of travel is in my arms (which I love).  You’re very caring towards your siblings and are learning how to say so many words and sentences.  You are quick to say,"sawee E-I *(sorry Eli), and we rarely remind you to say "dank you mommy "(thank you). You really do complete our family.

Eli:
Son, my heart melted as I walked out the door and you called down from upstairs “I love you dad.”  You are growing up right before my eyes.  One thing I appreciate about you is how quick you are to forgive, whether that it be fordaddy for sometimes not making wise decisions (sorry about the sledding accident), or your siblings when they are unkind to you.  I love that you love to wrestle with me and always want to go to the store or run errands with me.  In a lot of ways you remind me of myself when I was a boy, always wanting to be with grandpa.  Your smile is so unique son, and it really does brighten up my day.  You’re learning so much both in school and at home, and I love talking to you about Jesus.  This past Sunday we had our little “home church service” and you knew so many answers to the questions I was asking.  You’re like a little sponge.  I love you much and am grateful to God to be your daddy.

Chloe:
You are so competitive just like me.  Remember that’s it’s okay to be competitive, but I want you to learn that God cares less about whether you win or lose, and more about your heart and how you respond during and after the game (win or lose).  I pray you learn this much earlier in life than I learned it.  It’s been a lot of fun coaching you in basketball this year and seeing how you really seek to persevere in basketball and so many other areas in your life.  This is a wonderful attribute to have and it will take you far in life.  I love how curious and inquisitive (you ask lots of questions) you are.  That’s one of the reasons you’re so smart, because you’re always asking questions.  You are also quite diligent in getting things done whether that be your homework right after school or reading when I ask you to.  Lately I've seen you grow in gentleness with your little sister.  She adores you greatly, and its been fun watching you two play together.  You know the house is never quiet when you’re around, and I appreciate hearing you sing.  You’re such a beautiful girl, and I love being your daddy.

Noah:
Son, you crack me up.  I love your sense of humor and your growing interest in reading these days.  One area I’ve seen you grow in recently is kindness.  Yesterday you spent a lot of time organizing Chloe’s room while she was in the kitchen making breakfast with mommy.  It was fun to see how excited you were in blessing her with an organized room.  I enjoyed our snowball fight yesterday and sledding with you the last few days.  Your love for the game of basketball and our Wizards is growing.  You’ve come a long way in this sport, and I’m confident that if you put in the time and practice hard you can be a very good basketball player.  I’ve enjoyed having you stay up a little later these days and getting some more quality time with you. Often times during the day your younger siblings seem to get more attention.  Son, remember that sports are a blast, dreaming about flying on a broom like Harry Potter is entertaining but the most enjoyable, the most amazing thing you could ever have in life is a relationship with Jesus Christ.  Noah, you’re a handsome boy, and I’m very grateful to God that I’m your daddy. 

Reema:
How to put down in words all that is in my heart always seems impossible.   I love you so much honey.  I love raising a family with you and being with you.  Whether it’s in the kitchen being your sous chef, (I want to do that more), watching a movie with you and the kids on the couch or driving to various events,  I just want to be near you.  One thing I’ve recently been made aware of is how sacrificial you are.  Perhaps it’s because I’ve been home for the last 6 weeks, but man, no wonder you’re tired by the end of the day.  Yesterday we were all excited to build an igloo together as a family, and when I got outside Grace seemed really tired and without batting an eye you took her inside and put her to bed.  I’m sure you would have preferred to be outside with the rest of us, but you did what was best for our daughter, and you've been doing it for 10 years. Thank you for the way that you serve our family and lay your life down. I must add how gorgeous and overall stunning you are, but you don't draw attention to that and your beauty really comes from with in.   I'm grateful for the godly example of a wife and mommy you are to our girls. ( Have I ever told you that you make my heart flutter the way you look at me?)

One of my favorite things to do when away on travel is thinking about coming home to you.  I love thinking about what you and the kids are doing throughout the day, wishing I could teleport back home and sleep next to you.  Know that the best part of my travels is when I cross through the front door and arrive home to you.  There is no other place I would rather be.

Remember that the kids don’t need (nor do they have) a perfect mommy but rather a mommy who’s desperate for Jesus.  Continue to press into Him, be quick to confess, and enjoy these days that we have with our young ones.  Lastly, know that I’m a happier man, better husband and father and more like Christ because of you Reema.  Thank you for marrying me and choosing to love me the way that Christ loves the church.


All my love,
Daddy