Sunday, January 6, 2019

autumn days and holidays 2018

 Eli had has first soccer season and loved it

happy campers on a hike while mom naps with Grace at the campsite
 trick or treat

  
 lots of snuggles and stories
 removing kernels off our corn
 and enjoying the fruit of our labor
 special weekend with Mom-mom & Grandpa
 my favorite and grateful turkey
first snow of the season in November
 tea with me
pumpkin something
 Christmas pizzas and Grace unable to exercise self control
 Im D.C...converting a double stroller into a quadruple
 playdate with BESTEST friend ever
 school concert
 Christmas cookies!


with EXTRA sprinkles
 bonding with the littlest cousin, Paige
Grace's first gingerbread house
 Christmas day and that was the best we could do
 
 Happy New Year! Kicking it off with some of our favorite people

I keep saying, "I want to write that down, so I don't forget." But here I am, and I forgot.  I know I can't capture all our sweet times, but it's honestly becoming less important to me.  I look forward to the time to come more than reflecting on the time we left behind.  Life's sweet and short memories are just a foretaste of the glorious eternity that lies ahead.  

Currently Grace is circling around Danny singing, "Let it Go!" Just today for the first time, she was finally able to tell me all her colors without help! We've been working so hard on it, and I'm excited to move onto the next thing, counting to 10 :) She has become so much more teachable, and I love hearing her talk. After anything I tell her, she responds with a long and drawn out, "oooooohh".   You are really into play doh, setting the dinner table, and tea parties with mom right now. 

Eli completed his first soccer season, and unfortunately the season was rained out most of the time, but he was happy as can be out there aggressively running after the ball.  I'm going to miss you when you are in Kindergarten next year. We are working on writing your letters, and even beginning to read! We went to Chik-Fil-a last week in the blistering cold, and as we were walking in, he walked close to me and says, "I just want a blanket and snuggle on the couch with you." You warmed my heart.

(Just for a reality check,  I just had to stop blogging to break up the 10th conflict of the day). 

Chloe finished another season of gymnastics. She was so unbelievably good at all she did, but wanted to give it a break and try basketball. You aren't the best at basketball yet, but for you, its just a matter of time. I know you will work hard until you get better.  You were excited to score at your first game yesterday. My highlight from you was the Christmas gift you gave me. My first "BFF" jewelry :) I never had one growing up, and it means the world to me that you wanted to share a bracelet with me. I've worn it every day.

Noah got a basketball hoop for his bedroom door. I am wondering right now if the door and floors are still intact as you are playing. Oh well. You think its cool right now, and you refer to yourself as "Steph Noah" when you play. The biggest highlight for you, is that we have discovered a new interest other than Star Wars- HARRY POTTER! And you sucked me into it.  You started reading it with dad, but I overheard a lot, reread what you started, and took over reading it with you! We are in the middle of book 2.  After playing quidditch in my sleep, I woke up yesterday morning to Eli crying and saying, "I'm not a muggle!"  

And then there's dad. He needs an update too. Dad completed an olympic triathlon this year, and so now we are on to the Half Ironman of course. I like to think he's trying to stay as young as me:)  Although it wasn't the best year at work, as a matter of fact his worst, you wouldn't have known it.  He has been working diligently and pressing forward. He really makes most of his time when he's at home to engage with you kiddos.  He loves tickling and wrestling with you all, playing legos with Eli, reading with Grace, making a surprise breakfast with Chloe, letting Noah stay up to watch the Wizards play (the basketball team, not the ones from Hogwarts), and even taking a day off work to give me a mental day off.  Hmm maybe thats why it wasn't a good year now that I think of it. I did need a lot of those days. Anyway and most importantly, he has been teaching you Jesus.  He has been faithfully using free time to fill you with what you need most, the saving work of Jesus in your life (and my life). I am so grateful to be parenting with him, and we are praying now more than ever that you would choose the narrow way to eternal life. 

As for me, I feel grateful for the season I am in right now.  It is a season that seems SLIGHTLY more restful giving me SLIGHTLY more time to pursue personal interests. However, I can honestly be tempted to pursue those things more than the things that are a priority.  Even today I was convicted at church when I was challenged on how I was using my "free time" and reminded of how I need the Lord above all else even NOW.  I am more aware in these "prosperous" times that I am not promised an easier life. I know trials will come, (and believe me there are trials daily here), but I want to be able to stand firm on the rock when they do, rather than drift away.  This is very close to my heart as dear friends of ours are in a very trying season, and how Ally has responded in the face of fiery trials has provoked me. As she walks through deep waters, her mind is stayed on the Lord and is anchored in truth. While our hearts are heavy for them, I am grateful for their faithful and living testimony of the good and loving Father we serve. His powerful hands are clearly upholding them.  Because of the hope and promises that we have in Christ, we know that God is near and will not forsake them, or us. His grace is sufficient for all things at all times. 

Until Eli's birthday...